Robert Louis Stevenson
|First Daffodil 1/6/2012|
Spring has already flown in and I haven't posted any progress so here is what I have been working on for the last few months:
January - The year started with spring flowers, earliest I can remember. I started off the year pretty good, after not feeling well for the first 2 weeks of January I did manage to get the pieced backing made and then quilted my UFO #5. Still need to bind it.
|Fall Leaf Flannel 4 Patch Before Quilting|
I also made 2 pillowcases for my new side sleeper pillow. I had to draft the pattern and put in zippers since the pillow is J shaped.
February - I made a flannel design wall and hung up a Fons & Porter one so now I have TWO! I had to take down the Winner's Bouquet Blocks from the old vinyl tablecloth design wall to hang the new one so they got sewn together after living on the wall for months.
|Winner's Bouquet Blocks on Old Design Wall|
I'd had a construction zone panel that I've wanted to get quilted for my grandson for a year or so. I was tempted to just serge the edges and give it to him but I decided to quilt it since he had asked when he would get a quilt. I bordered it with several fat quarters of vehicle prints and made a backing from several flannel fat quarters of more vehicles. Still need to get the binding on it.
I seem to have a bad habit of making a top and not adding the borders so I'm trying to get the borders added to a few tops. I added the final border to a 30's prints Bargello top, I had at first decided not to put a border on this one but changed my mind. I made a Christmas print one at the same time that I will not border because I can't find one I like.
March - I added the borders to the Out of the Bag quilt I made a couple of years ago. I matched the prints to hide the seams and will post a tutorial on how I did it.
I went to the Original Sewing Expo and took 3 longarm classes with Pam Clarke and one on Paintsticks with Laura Murray. Nothing like escaping everything for a few days of quilting fun! Inspired by this getaway I succumbed to temptation and started not one but two new quilts: A safari themed quilt using the Flip Flop Block template and the Shadow Block Pattern by Kathie Alyce http://www.waterfallquilts.com/patterns.htm It has gone together fairly quickly. The other one is a batik rectangles and I'm really enjoying playing with some of those special batiks I've been saving for a while.
Another quilt I've been working on is a circles quilt. I started the circles when I taught a class on how to make them about six years ago, still not sure how they are going to go together but there are a lot more than just two now. I'll add pictures of these soon.
I've also made progress on ironing fabrics and ripping up magazines and filing away ideas and projects in my inspiration notebooks. This is part of my ongoing effort to establish order where chaos now exists in my studio. It usually just results in more project added to the 'want make list' and more fabrics that I really want to play with stack. LOL